A Health and Fitness Guide for the Family
Life can be hectic and demanding with all of the responsibilities of raising children, pursuing a career, and making financial ends meet. Staying healthy and happy together is a win-win situation for everyone. Parents and kids can take steps to enjoy better physical health, spend time together being active, and engage in other positive activities such as playing games, cooking, and doing household chores. Everyone needs daily exercise and healthful food, and planning health and fitness activities to do as a family can keep everyone involved.
Family Exercise Plan
Fitting exercise into a daily routine may feel challenging. Adults need at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week, and doctors urge kids between the ages of 6 and 17 to get at least one hour of moderate or vigorous exercise every day. Regular exercise helps protect everyone from heart disease and obesity. Embark on a family fitness plan that involves everyone getting some physical activity every day. Whenever possible, plan activities to do together as a family. You could walk the dog together, take a family bike ride or hike, do household chores, go swimming, or play active games outside. Make a chart to track the days that you exercise as a family, and plan a reward for the family when you reach goals. For example, you might plan a day at a local amusement park or a trip to the beach.
- An Overview of Family Fitness
- Ten Habits of Healthy Families
- Four Ways to Plan a Healthy Lifestyle for Your Family
- Six Simple Steps for the Whole Family to Be Heart-Healthy
- Make Physical Activity a Part of Your Family's Routine
- The Exercise Habit
- Four Easy Steps for Creating a Family Fitness Plan
- Exercise and Teenagers
- Heart Trouble in Your Family? Exercise May Offer Protection
- Exercise for a Healthier Life: Encouraging Physical Activity in Children With Down Syndrome
Fun Family Outdoor Activities and Games
Playing active games might be the best way to get valuable exercise while spending enjoyable time together. Old-fashioned playground games such as tag, hide and seek, and red rover are just a few suggestions of games you could play outdoors in the yard. You might also try learning some jump-rope rhymes for jumping rope, or you could draw a big hopscotch board on the sidewalk with chalk and play hopscotch. If your kids enjoy organized sports such as softball or soccer, look for local opportunities to play on a team.
- 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids This Summer
- 21 Fun and Active Games for Kids to Play on the Beach
- 30 Unorganized Sports You Should Teach Your Kid This Summer
- These Are the 15 Best Family Reunion Games of All Time
- 30 Classic Outdoor Games for Kids
Delicious Family Snacks
With daily activity, you'll need to feed the gang some healthy snacks that satisfy their hearty appetites. Whenever possible, stick to whole foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole-grain items such as popcorn, baked tortilla chips, and protein bites with grains such as oats and cracked wheat are delicious, healthy choices as well. Organic fruit leather, fruit pouches, uncured meat sticks, low-fat cheese cubes, and low-fat protein bars are also good picks. You could also make homemade snacks such as celery and peanut butter, apple slices with cheese curds, or naturally sweetened fruit muffins. Making snacks together in the kitchen is an excellent way to teach cooking skills and nutrition at the same time.
- 28 Healthy Snacks Your Kids Will Love
- 40 Healthy Snacks for Kids
- 30 Field-Tested Healthy Snacks for Kids
- 15 Healthy Snacks for the Whole Family
- The 14 Best New Healthy Snacks for Kids
- Simple Steps to Success
- Rethink Your Drink
Happy families usually have strong bonds built on respect and genuine affection. Carve out time to spend relaxing as a family without always running to activities and scheduled events. Make it a priority to enjoy each other's company, spend time together daily, eat together every day, create family rituals, have daily snuggle time, play games, embark on small and large adventures, and connect with meaningful conversations. These activities help nurture emotionally healthy children while also creating memories that kids will treasure forever.
- Five Secrets to a Stress-Free, Happy, Healthy Family
- 15 Secrets of Happy Families
- How to Have a Happy Family: Seven Tips Backed by Research
- 20 Simple Ways to Have a Happier Family
- Four Keys to Building a Happy Family
- 13 Tips to Increase Your Family's Happiness and Health
- Hanging Out at Home May Be the Key to Family Happiness
- How to Build a Happy Family
- Dinner: 30 Minutes to a More Connected Family
- Nine Tips to Increase Your Family Happiness and Health